Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tech Decline Week: The Mouse

Yes, you did read that right. In the near future, mouses will be a thing of the past. Hard to believe, right? I was definitely surprised until I took a moment to think about it.

Laptop computers all have those little touch pads included under the keyboards now. Monitors are becoming touch screen capable.

The extra cost of adding the touch software will be so small that everything will have it. A lot of phones already do. Soon monitors, TVs, and laptops will have have touch screens too.
Now, don't get me wrong. Mouses won't just suddenly disappear. We won't wake up one day and they will be gone. No. It will be a slow decline. It's already started. Mouses are fading away and we don't even realize it. My laptop doesn't even have a mouse right now as I type this.

I'm not sure I'm exactly thrilled about this. I mean, I'm all for new technology but I really do like using a mouse for certain projects or when I'm sitting at my desk. Maybe I'll go stock up on mouses just in case.



4 comments:

  1. I think it depends on what I'm doing, if I like to have my mouse or not. I'm not a huge computer gamer, but when I do play, it's so much easier to have one than use the trackpad. I agree though, that they're becoming old school. Maybe other computer companies will catch up with Apple's Magic Mouse and make them all more modern/touch screen friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what will happen, but I will definitely miss my mouse. I mean when I'm curled up somewhere with my laptop, I like my track pad but whenever I'm at my desk I automatically use my mouse. I prefer to use it when I'm working with photoshop or yes, gaming or something. I'll probably still use mine for a long while.

      Delete
  2. My mouse on my laptop is slowly breaking so I hope mouses don't totally disappear! But I agree, mouses have fallen to the side because of touch screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really have. I mean at first thought, I would disagree, but they really have. I don't think people realize how much things change. We just go with the flow and then sit back and go wow.

      Delete