Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Health: Repairing Heart Attack Damages

I went to the ER one night with severe pain in my lower back. I was there for five hours standing in one place because I couldn't sit, lay down, or even walk very much. It was horrible, and the ER didn't do anything but give me shots of morphine (which don't work on me). The only thing that kept me sane as the pain was trying to engulf me was the crazy man in the bed across from me. 
They kept trying to shut the curtain so he wouldn't bother me, but he became more of a comic relief then a bother. He had just suffered a mild heart attack, but that didn't stop him from pissing off the nurses. He kept taking off the top of the gown and complaining that his chest hurt. The nurses would tell him he just had a heart attack then make him put the gown back on. He would wink at me then hit the call button after they left so that they would come back. He would ask for a pain killer, but he wasn't allowed one because he had a stress test scheduled for the morning. At one point, a nurse pulled out his call button, or at least that's what I saw. She claimed otherwise. He kept me laughing the whole night, even pressing the call button after I plugged it back in so that he could ask the nurse to do something for my pain.
He was a very nice guy, and I hope that where ever he is that he is well. 


A team of scientists from the University of California, San Diego have developed a hydrogel that could provide the structure needed for a post-heart attack heart to regrow new heart cells. The bonus, no surgery. The new hydrogel made out of muscle cells of liquid cardiac connective tissue can be injected into the heart. The gel could be injected with a catheter, so forget the surgery. Who needs it when people keep coming up with new breakthroughs like this one?

Want to know more? Watch the video above or check out this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment