Monday, March 19, 2012

Red X's

I received my first cell phone as a Christmas present when I was 16. I remember that morning very well, because I had been complaining to my parents for months. All my friends in school had a cell phone. In face, most of them had cell phones since we were in middle school. I complained almost everyday. When we went to the mall, I would purposely walk by the Verizon Wireless store and stare at the phones in the window. My mom got annoyed quickly, but she held out, telling me "You're too young to have a phone. What are you even going to do with it?"

I was told if I kept my grades up, kept my room clean, and behaved, I could have a phone when I turned 16 because I would be driving soon. When I turned 16 in September, no phone. I had to wait til December 25. I was opening gifts from my stocking when a bright orange pop can snuggie fell out. I looked at it. "Uh, thanks?" I said disappointed. I picked it up and realized it was too heavy for a cloth snuggie. I looked inside and a pretty little phone was sitting there. I had a big smile on my face. Mom said I was still too young for it. 

About two months after I got my phone, I dropped it in a puddle on accident while it was raining. The red X's that were on the battery were gone. It was damaged. Sure enough, I went to turn it on and it wouldn't work. First phone. Gone. I had to wait for a new one.

I bring this up, because it would have saved me a lot of trouble to have had something like this back then...


A company in California named Liquipel has developed water resistant nanocoating. It's suppose to protect smartphones from water intrusion. It's just a coating that is applied as a vapor and doesn't affect the usability of the phone or make it any bigger. The vapor penetrates the whole device and gives the phone a longer life span. Check out the video. It's pretty cool.

Do you want to know more? Do you want to get your smartphone treated? 

No comments:

Post a Comment